Slough Borough Council - Homeless or at risk

Prevention and relief

Our main priority is to prevent you from becoming homeless. We provide appropriate advice and assistance to your circumstances to avoid the stressful and unpleasant experience of becoming homeless.

Do you need housing advice? Are you about to be made homeless?

If you feel you:

  • are under the threat of becoming homelessness within 56 days
  • are homeless
  • and/or are struggling to secure alternative accommodation

Do you have access to the internet?

If so, you can now contact us directly at any time, simply register yourself via the link below, it is easy to use. Tell us what the problem is and an officer will contact you, the following working day e.g. Monday – Friday.

Alternatively you can call us on 01753 475111.

The earlier you discuss your situation with us, the better chance we have to prevent you from becoming homeless.

Concerned about someone sleeping rough?

If you are concerned about someone you've seen sleeping rough, in England or Wales, you can use the StreetLink website to send an alert.

The details you provide are sent to the local authority for the area you saw the person in. It will help the authority's outreach service find the individual and connect them to support.

Duty to refer

If you are a statutory agency with a ‘Duty to refer’ under the Homeless Reduction Act, please email: for more details on making a referral and a link to ‘ALERT’.

What is the duty to refer?

The Homeless Reduction Act introduces a new duty to refer requiring specified public authorities in England to notify LHAs of service users they think may be homeless or threatened with becoming homeless in 56 days. The public authority must have consent from the individual before referring them and the individual should identify which LHA they would like to be referred to, as they would if approaching a housing authority directly.

Which public authorities have the duty to refer?

From October 2018, the following services will be required to refer service users they consider may be homeless or at risk:

  • prisons (public and private)
  • youth offender institutions
  • secure training centres
  • secure colleges
  • youth offending teams
  • probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
  • urgent treatment centres (include services locally designated as such, and all other providers of community and primary urgent care, including services locally designated as urgent care centres, minor injury units, minor injury services and walk in centres)
  • hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment (Inpatient care means persons who are receiving medical or other treatment as inpatients (admitted patients) in a hospital), and
  • social service authorities.

The Secretary of State for Defence is also subject to the duty to refer in relation to members of the regular forces. The regular forces are the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the regular army and the Royal Air Force.

Homefinder UK

There is shortage of social (council) housing in Slough, but other areas across the UK have more availability. Homefinder UK helps those who are homeless and on the council waiting list find permanent social housing. For more information see the Homefinder UK page.

Housing register

Please note: being homeless does not give you the right to a permanent council tenancy. It is likely we will assist you in securing alternative privately rented accommodation. Applying as homeless does not give you automatic access to a permanent council home/social housing - you will have to qualify in accordance with Slough Borough Council’s Allocations policy. The housing register applications are assessed and managed by the Allocation and Lettings team. All offers of council accommodation and nominations to housing associations are made through the council's housing register.

The how to apply page gives more details about how the housing register works and how to make an application.

Who to contact

Housing Services
01753 475111
Slough Borough Council 

Where to go

Housing Services - Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road

Journey Planner

Address: Observatory House,  25 Windsor Road,  Slough, 

You are texting details about Slough Borough Council - Homeless or at risk